Once A High School Joke, Now A Reality

It has been a while since my last entry. Truth is, I have been either busy or I just lack the motivation to update here. But I finally got an idea again, so here I am.

A lot of things from my high school years sort of fade into distant memory, never to be revisited again in most cases. However, there's always going to be an exception or two to that rule.

I remembered back in high school, some of my friends joked about me being a car salesman. I denied at such possibilities, saying that my dream is to be an automotive journalist. I was inspired by Jeremy Clarkson and his reviewing style - even if some can get controversial. While I doubt I can possibly match his levels, writing and talking about cars is something I personally find therapeutic, which is why I started this blog way back in 2015 and eventually starting another car-related blog as I made some restructuring.

However, my dream of becoming an automotive journalist slowly fade as reality struck me some time in 2019 when I took a little longer to complete my Diploma and by the time I graduated in September 2020, it was in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic - sending the job market into a spiraling mess. Retrenches and poor wages brought on by salary cuts are common stories during these times, and one that still continues until now as of the time of this writing.

I did a few odd jobs between now and then. Starting from doing deliveries on Lalamove before moving on to a car wash, landed in an advertising agency and then taking off again to help my dad run his small business. Of course while all of that was happening, I was still on a job hunt looking for my dream job. As time went on, however, I realised that I must stop being picky, let go of any dreams of being a writer for the time being and actually look for something that's also relevant to my qualifications - ranging from being a social media administrator to even jumping into the radio industry. None of them came into fruition.

I searched high and low across multiple platforms. I looked at Mudah, Wobb and Facebook - actually, Facebook is where I spend most of my time - and just shooting my applications. I asked around, fine-tune my resume and in some cases, actually go out of my house to find any place with job vacancies. But months go by and nothing came into effect. I was frustrated, but I can't exactly call it quits. Then I noticed that there are plenty of job vacancies as Sales Advisor from various companies and considering that my dad was once a sales advisor for Isuzu in the 1980s, I figured it wouldn't hurt to follow his footsteps there.

So I went on. Applied to maybe like 10 places, only got an interview scheduled from three of those places. I won't disclose where the first two places are, but the third one is the one that landed me here. While I'm currently still training, I'm now a Sales Advisor at Proton 4S Setia Gemilang Auto.

It wasn't what I would immediately call "a dream come true" as I still have the desire to realise my dream and become an automotive journalist one day, but it is certainly a great starting point as I begin to jump into the automotive industry. I did promise that no matter what I do, I will always want to be involved with cars and joining here, I might be facing the right direction.

Of course, there are always multiple paths to take and there's no "right or wrong" way. I have no idea what to expect, but I will give it my best shot. I've also created a Facebook page and an Instagram account in order to prepare myself for online promotions, so please feel free to follow and support me as I embark on this journey. Thank you.

Comments