Going Back To Square One

One year into this COVID-19 pandemic, we are now once again back to being in a lockdown. What a shame, I would say.

I remembered exactly last year when we finally hit zero daily new cases. I could not believe it - we actually did it. Praises from the world came flooding, and for a moment I felt proud to be part of it. That was until something happened... I'm sure you would know what that event is.

Just like that, our efforts of going insane facing online distanced learning and being stuck at home and not able to go out without fearing of getting the virus went down the drain. Daily new cases skyrocketed, and before we know it, we touched a new record of 9,020 daily cases on Saturday. For now, that record stood unbroken as the number of cases dropped the next day - and let's hope it stays that way.

Still, here we are back to square one. When we first came into lockdown in March 2020, daily cases were only touching a hundred and above - no more - and even then, the lockdown was extended repeatedly until we start witnessing two digits. The current lockdown now is supposed to last for two weeks from 1st June until 14th June, but with cases well into the thousands, how long will it take before we're back to two digits and gradually single digits?

I could went on and talk about who to blame for the cause of this exponential rise in cases and new clusters left and right, but that's not the point of this article. I'm not going to point fingers nor am I going to back anyone up. To be completely honest, I have an unpopular opinion that I desire to express here: going back to square one now isn't that bad - for me, at least.

Maybe because I'm in a vastly different position compared to last year, when I was in my final semester as a Diploma student whereas now I'm a sales advisor, but this time, I look forward to this lockdown. I firmly believe that it is a necessity at this stage for the mistakes that we've done throughout this pandemic. I also believe that this time will be different thanks to the vaccination rollout we are having now - I've already received my first jab on Thursday which I've already written about my experience here. I was supposed to follow up with another article should anything new arises, but nothing came hence why I didn't bother. Of course, life would have been better if none of this happened, but there's always a blessing in everything that happens. A lesson to learn.

Of course, everything is still a little messy now, but I firmly believe that we're slowly steering into the right direction. I have faith things will finally take a turn for the better of all of us and who knows, life will be back to normal again - maybe even better than what we had before the pandemic - sooner or later. All we have to do now is play our part and stay at home, not only for the sake of ourselves, but for our loved ones and our frontliners braving it out day and night.


Until then, stay safe everybody. Stay at home, and I will be updating again soon. All of this will be over, one fine day.


Comments