Writing Is So Therapeutic


You ever stumbled upon one of those satisfying videos in either Facebook and Twitter, and your mind instantly becomes at ease when you watch the whole process? I'm sure you do.

One of the things I love to binge-watch on YouTube these days are time-lapse of items being restored or cleaned. Seeing what started out as a piece of worthless junk turned to something that could fetch big bucks is a form of therapy that I personally couldn't describe.


A while back, I embarked on this therapeutic journey by sweeping the leaves on my driveway. It ended up becoming a must-do for me every morning and evening. However, I stopped as there are no more leaves to sweep. Maybe someone must have done it for me, I don't know. I then shifted to sweeping the floor in the living room and it works just as well.

When I'm not sweeping the floors, there's also another form of therapy for me: writing.

While I have not been writing in this blog for very long, I still write in a personal diary - which is a Microsoft Word document in my laptop - about how I feel at that particular moment, my dreams, plans and so on. It was full of random crap that I have no intention on sharing with anyone (although I literally just mentioned of its existence in my public blog), but it really helps me.

Like, really. It helps a lot.

Aside from letting my emotions out, seeing bunch of letters string together to form a series of sentences, turning into a story is just therapeutic. Even though I stumble upon block after block, the end result is always worth it. I could go crazy long, or just write one or two sentences. Not only would I feel like a massive burden has been lifted off my chest, but there's a sense of accomplishment to be had, even though it seems like I didn't earn anything out of it.

What's weird though is that for someone who loves writing, I rarely - almost never - read books or novels (my dad has owned more cars than I have read books) I mostly read articles online, and the only notable books that I have read were the first three 'Diary of The Wimpy Kid' books and Animal Farm, which is basically an indirect take of the Soviet Union by George Orwell during the Second World War.

Anyway, going back to writing, I do get stuck as mentioned earlier, so I will just go and wander around, scroll through my social media, or go for a spin in my Wira. Sometimes it will take me days to come up with the next idea and honestly, it's just frustrating.

However, don't let that deter you. To me, writing is a really good alternative to drawing for those who's bad at drawing (I am one of those people). Anyone should try writing, regardless of grammar or language proficiency. All you need is either a book and pencil, or writing on your smartphone's Notes or on a Word Document of your laptop or computer.

That concludes this entry for now. Until next time!

Comments