Having No Ideas

 

Normally, I'd bring my laptop to work. The problem is, when I bring my laptop to work in hopes I can start writing on my either blogs, I will have no idea on what to write. But when I came to work without my laptop, I was extremely bored. Time passes agonisingly slow. I had no idea what to do, but now I'm here in the comfort of my own home, typing away at this article.

There was a story, when Archimedes jumped out of his bath tub and ran down the streets yelling "Eureka! Eureka!" while being completely naked. Imagine doing that today in the middle of Bangsar... wouldn't make for a pleasant sight for those witnessing now, would it?

But what was that Eureka story about? I asked my high school Physics teacher (who was also my class and Mathematics teacher) but seeing that I'm asking this FIVE YEARS after graduating, here's what he replied:


For my non-Malay-speaking readers, basically he doesn't remember and suggests that I go search on YouTube. His physics have been rusty as he's been concerned about his physique.... Understandable, have a nice day.

So I got home, decided to go on Google - which is the standard advice of literally everyone these days - and searched "Archimedes Eureka moment". Here's what I've got.

The story goes that Archimedes was trying to understand why some objects float in water, and why some don't. I'm too lazy to read the first article I found when I searched for this story on Google because this blog isn't a physics lesson - I've left that in 2016 when I graduated high school. Initially, I thought it was Pythagoras yelling EUREKA running down the streets naked as he discovers the Pythagoras Theorem, but it wasn't.


So I sit behind this very cash register, doing things and suddenly thought that since I don't often have ideas about what to write about, why not I write about what I do when I'm having no ideas about what to write? Maybe it's my Eureka moment?

Lately I've been playing GTA Vice City radio stations - the full cut with the hosts talking and commercial breaks - through the café speakers and I was immediately taken back to Vice City in the 1980s. Talk about the likes of Phil Collins, Laura Branigan, The Foreigner, Michael Jackson and so on. It was one of the best things I've ever came up with.

But just when I thought that it couldn't be topped, I remember that I often plug a thumbdrive into the USB port of my radio so I can play my own songs that I've downloaded. With that in mind, I decided to download these GTA Vice City radio stations and put it into my thumbdrive so I can play it through my car's radio (a 1992 Mercedes-Benz, no less) and when I started tuning in, the feeling was simply mesmerising. The hosts and the commercial breaks make the whole thing realistic. I really need me one of those morning suits. In case you're wondering what I'm on about, click here to listen to one of those radio stations. You'll understand what I mean.

Anyway, my taste in music varies greatly, but I tend to have a bias for rock or heavy metal. I enjoy the relaxing emotional hits of The Foreigner as much as I enjoy raging to Rage Against The Machine.

Actually, I have no idea what I was going to write about. Even the ones that I've drafted are just that - drafts. Perhaps it's coming out with the phrasing that I find to be difficult. For the most part, I just end up scrolling on social media or going on Tinder and losing my minds at some of the bio these people put on that app. Does Tinder really work, though? I don't think it does for me, but I'm not expecting anything out of it. Heck, my Tinder bio is literally as follows:

"Here because I'm having a writer's block"

This was followed by a call-to-action to come and check out my blog (if you came here from Tinder after seeing my profile, hello there). But there are stories of people actually finding their match through Tinder, and for that I congratulate these couples. But for the most part, it's not working out that well for me. I'll stick to traditional methods, thank you very much.

To be honest, I haven't had much energy to entertain what's going on in my car groups. I still feel drained now and I must admit, my mental health has depleted to a dangerously low level - so bad, it affected my driving - so I'm just gonna keep quiet and only chat with a small, select amount of friends when I feel like it until I have fully recovered. I guess I can say I'm doing a bit better now, but I still need that break.

With that said, I'm ending this entry here. What do you do when you have no idea? Tricky question, I know. But I'd like to hear it from you people instead of me rambling all along, running a one-man show. After all, even radio stations have those segments where their listeners can call the station or drop a message.

Comments