Breathing Deeply - My Thoughts on Our Recent Smoking Ban

Starbucks SS15, Subang Jaya

Unless you’ve been living with Patrick the Starfish, you should know by now that Malaysia has implemented a smoking ban on eateries effective January 1st, and it has sparked quite a debate among the people– as with everything that happens here – both smokers and non-smokers alike.

About two weeks has elapsed since the implementation, and I’m now here to provide my own personal thoughts and opinions on regard to this matter. You may choose to agree or disagree, it’s up to you.

I begin writing this article at Starbucks SS15. Before the ban, breathing there is about as healthy as drinking petrol. The air was just so heavy with cigarette smoke, you might as well be inhaling car exhaust fumes. It isn’t just Starbucks – it applies to pretty much every mamaks known to mankind.

Now, I wouldn’t say it’s akin to breathing fresh air at Kundasang or Genting Highlands as the air pollution still comes from other places – most notably, from cars and lorries that drive in and out of SS15 everyday – but there is a drastic improvement. I find myself breathing in deeply on several occasions just to appreciate the much cleaner air – and admittedly to discreetly taunt the heavy smokers.

Obviously, we non-smokers really appreciate it. However, there’s another side of argument that’s worth pointing out.


The other side of the argument...


I used to work at a restaurant which has two distinct areas – outdoors for smoking and indoors for those who don’t smoke. However, with the ban in place, you can’t smoke in the smoking area. I may not be a smoker myself, but I find it a bit baffling.

Now this ban makes sense at something like a mamak, however in restaurants where the smokers and non-smokers are well-segregated, it just seems to be a bit odd. With the ban in place, it would defeat the purpose of restaurants having an outdoor place since you wouldn’t be allowed to smoke there. I guess it frees up more space for customers, so there’s that.

With that said, it could be argued that having a dedicated smoking place would balance out the situation. However, I’m no expert in this regard. I’m merely giving my opinion as a concerned Malaysian. Perhaps there could be various factors such as costs, and the fact that you can smoke anywhere else you want other than eateries and other “NO SMOKING” zones that prevents this from happening. Maybe.


Conclusion


There’s no doubting that the ban has brought massive benefits to people like you and me. However, it is still at an early phase, and I believe that it will continue to refine as the time goes on.

Don’t smoke! It’s bad for your health and the others surrounding you!


"The chain-smoker: He does not devour it, it devours him!"
From anti-tobacco publication
Reine Luft, 1941;23:90

Comments