Nine Months into Wira Ownership

My Wira being a rally car
I am very much aware that it's been a while since I last posted an entry on this blog. This is because I've been mostly busy with my college life.

Oh, yes. I've enrolled into INTI International College Subang on the 17th of August 2017. Met different kinds of amazing people, experienced a lot of fun things, and been loaded with tonnes of assignments. More on that next time.

Main point of this entry is that yesterday (5th of November 2017) marks my 9th month into owning this old girl. Throughout those nine months, a lot of things had happened, and little of which involved my Wira. Let's get cracking with the updates, then!

An Accident - 28/7/2017

Let's start with the first major event that involved my Wira - and it was traumatising when it first happened. I was returning from MSU after visiting an old classmate of mine, before crashing into a MyVi while attempting to U-Turn. While the MyVi suffered no more than a slight dent at its left rear wheel arch, my Wira suffered considerably heavier damage - although it can still be driven. I also lost the right inner fender guard, which to this day hasn't been replaced.

The accident took place somewhere at Batu Tiga (exact location pictured). It was primarily my fault since I didn't check my rear-view mirror and I was U-turn-ing on a double line. Although we didn't end up going to the police station to make a report, I still have to pay the MyVi driver a hefty sum of RM450 to repair for his damage. My Wira? That's close to RM800!

Remember kids: always check your rear-view mirrors before doing something illegal like this.

New Rubbers (and arms) - 2/11/2017

Needless to say, the Bridgestone Potenza RE080 tires that came with the car were so bald, that the tires resemble more like racing slicks. Not ideal, isn't it?

In fact, there was a time I got my Wira to 80 km/h on slightly damp roads and the Wira was literally riding on water. Needless to say, that was my first experience of hydroplaning.


There were also severe squeaks coming from the rear, and the Wira will start vibrating violently at 100 km/h because the alignment was shot.

So, a quick tire change was necessary. The problem is: I wasn't aware that my dad has chosen the tires for me, so I just have to go with whatever his choice is. Then again, my dad wouldn't pick out the worst of tires, right?

Two hours later, I went to the workshop to pick up my Wira - by then its already sitting proudly on four Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 tires, and two new rear arms taken from a Proton Gen 2.

What do these changes translate to? To begin with, the new tires are significantly quieter than the worn-down Potenzas, and although unfair comparison, grip levels are definitely higher both in the dry AND in the wet. With the alignment done, my Wira is more stable than before by a country mile at high speeds. With the rear arms changed, the squeaks are gone. They're only minor changes, but it has completely transformed my Wira to a proper daily driver.

I've only used these tires for four days, so there's not much I can say about them, other than the fact that they've made my Wira felt a tad bit more sluggish than before due to the fact that the new tires are 10 mm wider than the old tires it replaced (195/55R15 vs 185/60R15) - although you really have to be paying attention to notice it.

What's next?

As of now, I'm just gonna drive my Wira as it is. I don't even drive it to college because I'd rather ride the LRT to SS15 than drive there. However, I do have plans to transform my Wira into the ultimate driver's machine... just think Porsche 911R and you're close. Rear-seat delete, bucket seats etc etc.

That's all for this entry! I'll try to update as frequently as possible. Till next time!

Comments