My 2001 Proton Wira 1.3 GLi Aeroback: Three Months In.

I know, it's been a while since I last updated this blog. Problem is, I couldn't think of any material to write about.

Well, let's just clear things up first. I had my driving test on the 29th of March, 2017 and passed. Received my driver's license on the 3rd of April, 2017 and on the 5th of February - way before any of the above happened - my dad bought me this 2001 Proton Wira 1.3 GLi Aeroback that only now - after three months - I'm going to write a review. Okay, so here goes.

About the car









I was just having lunch with my family when - out of the blue - my dad asked me if I was interested in this Proton Wira 1.3 GLi Aeroback because his friend is selling it for RM5,000. At the time, I was considering of getting a Wira as my first car. But, I was looking for a 1.5 manual saloon. Since my dad's already asking anyway, I said "okay", so we decided to go and have a look at the car. The car was at Cheras.



When we arrived, we looked around the car, connected the battery, get it started, pushed a Saga Iswara out of its way, then finally driving it out. My dad's friend said that we can bring it home first just to see if I like it, so we did - after filling its near-empty tank to the brim, that is. It got us home without any issues.


When we arrived USJ, my dad drove it to the car wash, before finally letting me drive the last mile home. The next day, it was sent to the workshop for basic servicing, before I can finally start daily-driving it. It's been three months now, so here's what I think of the car.

Driving the Proton Wira



















Now, let me just begin with the drivetrain. The Wira is powered by the same 1.3-litre unit you'll get in the Saga/Iswara - although this one has electronic fuel-injection. On paper, performance doesn't seem impressive: 74 horsepower, 108 N.m of torque and a 0 to 100 km/h time of 13.1 seconds and it feels because I find myself having to rev it hard to get it going. Then again, I've always been a bit of a heavy-footed driver.

Take it easy, however, and the Wira would be more than happy to cruise along at 4th gear at 100 km/h - although you will need to play with the gears if you ever plan on overtaking. Truth be told, that's a good thing, because the shift action is absolutely beautiful.















Being a 16 year-old second-hand car, there's always going to be rattles and squeaks all over the interior. Ignore them, and the Wira is actually very refined. The ride is firm, but not overly jarring like my old BMW E30 I had a while ago. Obviously, the bushings needed replacing but for now, it's alright.

However, perhaps my favorite part of the Wira is the handling. If you just combine the fact that the Wira had Lotus-tuned suspension and a light chassis as well as a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE080 tires, what you're getting is a car meant for the aunties on the school run that happened to be so bloody capable in the bends. I'd reckon with a set of sports springs, new shock absorbers and fresher rubber, this Wira would be untouchable on any twisting roads!

Downsides? Well, the Proton Wira is relatively low and small, so driving in heavy traffic can be quite intimidating. The engine - as I said earlier - does need to be worked hard to get going, and.... WELL WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO SAY? IT'S AN OLD PROTON FOR GOD'S SAKE, OF COURSE THERE'S GONNA BE FAULTS!

Though, if I'm honest, build quality is a lot better than the Saga FL I had a while ago. The doors close with a solid thud, the plastics are robust, and get this - PADDED DASHBOARD. When was the last time a new Proton had a padded dashboard? Well, never.

That dashboard is thickly padded, and the plastics under it is very robust.


Sum up


The Proton Wira blends old-school character and modern dynamics perfectly. It can keep up with most modern cars - perhaps better them - around corners. It's also very practical - I once fitted an unfolded folding bike into the boot, which is made possible because the rear seats fold. Safe to say, I've fallen in love with it. I promise that I will keep it for as long as I am alive, and will evolve it into the ultimate driving machine. (Sorry, BMW)

Come next year, Proton Wira models built in 1993 will be eligible for classic car status, so it is worth investing in one, because they're on the way to becoming classic cars.

See? No problem!



















Comments